G E E B E E ▲ ∆



Gwendolyn N.
26 years young, a dreamer struggling ever so slightly to not let the world's negativities consume her.


Friday, November 28, 2008

Sailing camp @ Krabi, Thailand!

Note: EDITED! ALL PHOTOS COURTESY OF MS CHENG, since my photos are gone with my dear camera.

Hello world! I'm back from sailing camp @ Krabi, Thailand! :)

We did caving, kayaking, snorkling, deep water solo, rockclimbing, abseiling..


I'm thankful to have such a lovely and family-like bonded sailing family and wonderful teachers-in-charge, because thanks to them we had our camp in Thailand instead of school, and the camp was successful!

But yeah, the sec4s got back their Level 1 already. :( will miss them!

I'm back with 16 mosquito bites, 11+ cuts (especially one from this morning's caving activity that made me look like I slit my wrists cuz its a cut thats longer than half my arm) and 2+ blueblacks.

But all thats worth it.

Oh, but losing my camera wasn't.

And it was lost in transit from our first staying area to the kayaking area, which makes me feel more pissed! Like, why was it MY bag that the uncle dropped out all the things from??

DAY 1

"bus" ride with the luggage.

MOOOOSH!

We kayaked to this island with loads of crabs.

And David did crab fishing with a water bottle. :)

Why so serious, Joseph?

DAY 2

When we opened our curtains in the morning, this was the scenery we saw.

Then we packed up and took the boat down to another place for kayaking, again.

Yup, these rocks and stuff were directly above our heads while kayaking.

Cool, or what?

Mrs Koh's trained us Pure Geog students too much, cuz wherever I went during the kayaking trip was,

"How was this formed?" "Why is it like that?" "Are the rocks pourous?"


It rained after we went to Krabi from our kayaking island. After the rain stopped we went to have a "small" trek (as according to someone) that lasted for like more than 2 hours?

We went up this side of the mountain then back down, on to a beach, walked past resorts that looked oh-so-comfy, and past 2 more beaches.

And I did it all without shoes!

Well, except the climbing of the mountain thing.
After that I washed my feet in the sea water so I refused to put my shoes back on.

So my feet hurt pretty bad and numb cuz of the pebbles on the beaches and all. David was walking beside me the whole time, so the poor dude had to listen to my "OUCH-es" and "OOOPFH!-es". :P

End up he forced me to wear the shoes he was wearing. Thanks! :)

Belle saw a chicken and she started doing the "bok bok bok!" sound chickens make thruout the day. LOL.


DAY 3

3rd last day started with Deep Water Solo and Snorkling/Beaching.


A chicken woke us up at like 5.30am Thailand time k.

It still went to every area the girls were sleeping in to give us a wake up call, and we all got annoyed at it lol.


We climbed like, super high? 2 stories+ high? Idk.

Oh, the kick?

No ropes and no support. :)

I climbed 3 times, only reaching the top at the last try.

Determination really DOES help, cuz I told myself, "Okay we're going for lunch, and I'll be really damn peeved if I don't climb all the way to the area and experience jumping off it!"

And regardless of the cuts from the first try, I just pushed myself.

The jump was... I can't describe it with words!

It felt like, I was committing suicide? Except for it was killing myself by landing on the deep waters below. Its like, you don't hit the water immediately.

There's this split second that you're hanging in the air and you're thinking,
Am I there yet?


Guys trying a different route than the one shown by the guides.

See where David and Ryan are?

Thats the high part I climbed till on the 3rd try.


Idk what Ryan was doing..

But he jumped so...

Jump David, jump! :)

Aaron J. jumping.


Me and Mr Shoo jumped together.

Thanks for all the encouragement! :)

No, don't ask me what they were doing either.

After that we had lunch on the boat, and went snorkling and beaching.

It was the best!

It felt made me feel like I was in Loola again,
Joseph agreed with me. :)

I didn't snorkle since there was nothing much besides the nice fishes that ate all the rice we couldn't finish.

We just sat out at sea, lying down on our lifejackets. Or just stayed on the beach, playing SANDball fights and all. Awesome.

And oh, not forgetting catching waves!



Since we finished snorkling etc early, we and went down to have Ryan's mango sticky rice.

It ended up raining, so we were stuck there, giving the aunty business since we all thought the bbq chicken was gooood.

I only bought mango sticky rice, which I shared with David.

Then he bought chicken and gave me a whole drumstick after he ate how much he wanted. I was like, omg thats a lot! then he and Ryan said they could finish it in two bites.


DAY 4

View from the cave of the route that the other 2 groups took, I think.


Today morning was rushed, cuz we had to leave by around 2pm+ to catch our 8pm flight. The boat ride+bus ride was like, total of 4hours?

Our cave route was shotened, and before it we did rockclimbing.

In my group only Aaron and Yanling made it to the top. I hit my knee and like, couldn't continue already since I had a blueblack and a lot of cuts from the Deep Water Solo from the previous day


Caving = we go into a cave. And oh, abseil down from it which is at least.. about 8-9 stories high? Okay it felt like it.

This was how high up we were when we were going to abseil down.

As in, this was what we could see!
NOT that we were as high as the mountains in the picture!


I ended up crying because while going up the cave, it was super dark and the sand was super fine. I fell backwards and slid downwards.

Can you imagine? You falling down when you know if you kept sliding downwards, you would end up falling from a damn high height?

.

.

.

Okay maybe I started getting scared when I saw a plank.

I thought I had a phobia for nothing, but from this camp I found out I am terribly afraid of crossing bridges/ladders made of planks/bamboos.

Abseiling down.

The guys were laughing at me cuz the moment guide Alex told me to release my hands, my face "totally changed", and Ms Cheng started snapping pictures.

You can kinda see how nervous I was the moment he said,
"Okay now you release your hands".



The guy's accommodation for the 2nd place was much better than the girl's, can you believe it?? So we hung out at their place for the last few days.

Besides that, the nights at Krabi were fun.

We mostly spent our nights after dinner walking around to the restaurants and roadside stalls near the beach.



Yeah, I think I'm still laggy and sleepy from the plane ride back.

The bus ride was around 2hrs. I fell asleep as soon as the bus set off to the Phuket airport and I woke up with my neck hurting cuz my head ALWAYS moves when I'm not sleeping beside the window. Again, poor David was sitting beside me so I think his shoulders suffered a bit. Sorry, and thanks! :)

Well,

THANK YOU & KUDOS TO MS CHENG, MS CHEW, MR SHOO, MR YEO AND MR NARA!
You teachers are the most fun. :)

And oh, Ms Claudette too!

No comments: