G E E B E E ▲ ∆



Gwendolyn N.
26 years young, a dreamer struggling ever so slightly to not let the world's negativities consume her.


Thursday, July 06, 2006

Argh, today was disasterous! Though I have to say the winds today was totally my favourite type of wind : moderate!

I might not be sure if you'd classify it under moderate. But for me I guess it was..

Anyway, today the last 3 races were conducted. The last day of the race, so we have to really give it our all and pull up the ratings from yesterday.

During the 5th race [also the first race of the day, cos I also count it the races from yesterday], I had quite a good start, and I followed the tips given by Mrs Sidhu before we went for the race. She told me to point until my tell-tale drops, and then bear away a little. I tried that, and realised that I was even closer to the first buoy then before! I was so glad and gloated over the girl behind me - who obviously beared away too much and ended up having to do extra distance before tacking up.

I expected my positions today to be good too, but I still remained at 19/20. Actually, now the 'other' 20 came, and hence I am not counted as 18/20 but 19/20. Mubarak saw me staring at the bulletin board after I finished packing up and getting ready to leave. He laughed a bit, but then he said "Its okay lah. At least you never get last what." then he looked at the Boys C' Division Provisionals [or whatever] results and went "tsk tsk". He pointed at David and Ryan's score. Both of them were the last two. I guess they must be feeling pretty bad now. Poor them.

Then for the 6th race, I could have beat Ning Xin [my sec 2 senior] to the finish line, but since her score was the one being submitted to the total score for counting for the school's positioning, I gave way to her and beared away to loose a bit of my wind, and after she passed the finish line, I sheet in a little more and passed the line. She seemed so happy to have beaten me... but oh well, all for the school.

Yi Xuan, on the other hand, didn't do as badly as us. Her positioning for all the races was 9/20! On the final result I mean. As in, after all the races. She was so upset when we went to Mac with Peck Khee. She said "Wah lao, my positioning sucks lar. 9/20 leh! So what lar..." and Peck Khee said "You are indirectly suan-ning us you know." because both of our positions were very bad. But Yi Xuan still insisted that her positioning was considered bad.

Anyway, on the 7th race, the winds really picked up and from moderate, it became strong.

Everyone was hiking out, and so was I. Tried my best to keep the boat flat, but it was hard for me to be able to do so, as the wind was so strong. So I decided to use one hiking strap instead of two. It was easier to keep the boat flat when hiking out with one toe strap instead of two, but its also easier to fall out.

So i was careful not to fall out and make my boat capsize. But at the last race it was my unluckiest. When going on a Run, I was so close to rounding the 3rd buoy! But when I was about one boat length away from the buoy, my boat capsized and I lost 4 positions as people sailed past me, including Ning Xin. She was actually slower than me for about all the 3 races today! But before we both cross the finish line, I would give in to her. lol.

But when I uprighted the boat and went on a Reach to jybe around the buoy, I noticed that if I could just sailed faster I could catch up and get back my 4 positions. And so I sailed, sheet in, point and point and bear away and bear away and hiked out like I was mad and I caught up with Ning Xin! She was actually 3 positions before me, but I actually caught up with her!

I was amazed at myself, and Ning Xin went "I'm gonna get trashed, and I don't want to get trashed by you too!" or something like that. But now she was nearer to buoy 2, but yet she overlayed, and I ended up infront of her when going on a Run. But in the end she still beat me to the finish line by about, half a boat?

When recovering our boats, it was totally unlucky for me.

I took out my daggerboard and eased out and jumped out of my boat too far from the entrance point to NSC, i actually wasn't that far, and I could just pull my boat there with Wen Feng's help, no sweat!

But Wen Feng had to be gei kiang, and act cool. So he told me that he wanted to sail nearer to the breakwater point, so that it would be easier to pull up my boat. Bryan stood there with a MOESSC byte trolley, but yet Wen Feng told him "Byran siam lah! I going to sail there lar! Nearer to pull lar!!!" and put in my mainsheet into the innerloop of the mainsheet pulley, put the daggerboard in and sailed off.

No surprise, some of the people still waiting for their teammates to bring them a trolley stared at him. I mean, who would sail with like, a mainsheet rigged up halfway?!

When he got off my boat, he jumped too near to shore, forgetting that the waves were very strong and hard to fight against. So when he jumped off on starboard side, he didn't grab my boat in time...

The waves washed it onto shore, and as some people from TJC [i think] rushed over to help him, I rushed there too. He had sailed quite fast due to the strong winds, and I couldn't catch up since I saw some KC [Katong Convent] girls having problems with their boat so I helped them push it up and rushed off to recover my boat.

Whoops! BIG mistake. I saw that Wen Feng didn't grab my boat and I saw him and this JC guy [i think TJC, again] running after the boat as it was washed ashore! I was so shocked, and ran to the boat. I was too late -

MY TILLER EXTENSION SNAPPED INTO HALF.

Ouch. My daggerboard was also washed off the boat due to the huge waves that like, sweep you off your feet when you are desperately trying to grind your feet into the sand to prevent yourself from being washed with the waves. I ran to the boat, dumped my daggerboard into the boat and I noticed that Tzu Ling watching as everything happened. As soon as the tiller extension snapped into half, she SCREAMED. She was like, OMG! NOOOO! and stood there staring and stoning.

She was like, so upset. Her heart was shattered into a million pieces. I know, because she treats the boat like her own. She loves the boat a lot, like she was the one who bought it.

And all Wen Feng could say was : "Opps, woah! The tiller extension broke into half!" and didn't even feel apologetic about it.

I stared at the other end of the tiller extension that was sticking up in the air, and felt like screaming my head off too, because I knew how mad Tzu Ling would be. As soon as my boat left the waters, she came up to me and asked for the other half of the tiller extension and she took out the tiller extension itself. She was really mad, and didn't really ask me in a nice tone or anything. She didn't even want to look at me!

She angrily left and reported the broken tiller extension to Mrs Sidhu.

Not saying that its Wen Feng's fault, but if he didn't bother to show off infront of people, and if he just listened to me and just recovered the boat when Bryan came over with the trolley, this would not have happened.

When the beach was practically empty, I started scolding Wen Feng for not watching out on the equipment, and for not bringing the boat to sea when we were always repeatedly told that when there were big waves, we were supposed to bring the boat nearer to sea than to shore.

David came over, and Ryan came to complain about his daggerboard being chipped off. Woah, he showed me the daggerboard chip. HUGE. Then David also told us his daggerboard was chipped. Ouch. Then David looked into my boat, and saw that my daggerboard too was chipped. He told me, and i screamed somemore.

Later when going to NSC lugging along the heavy boat in the heavy trolley, Tzu Ling came to me again, and asked grumpily when my daggerboard chipped. I said during recovering of the boat. She nodded and angrily walked off...

Then she helped David take down his clue-tie and all, and she smiled and laughed as she talked to them [Bryan and Ryan they all were there too]! But since the tiller extension broke, Tzu Ling never smiled when she talked to me, and she only frowned.

then when i finally dragged my boat into NSC, Mrs Sidhu came to me and asked angrily if i signed off. I said no and she said really loudly "WHAT ARE YOU DOING HERE THEN?!?! GO SIGN OFF NOW BEFORE THE SIGN OFF TIME LIMIT IS OVER OKAY. TAKE DOWN YOUR SAIL AND GO SIGN OFF." and then I said "Okay, but I only just came in-" "-JUST CAME IN?! YOU WERE STANDING THERE DOING NOTHING. DON'T THINK I DON'T KNOW!" and I was very shocked. "GET DOWN YOUR SAIL NOW AND SIGN OFF!"

I was shocked. I didn't stand there doing nothing, I didn't even laze around! I was being scolded for nothing, and I felt really sad. Why I came in so late was because no one helped me recover my boat, and I couldn't solo to recover because of the strong current and waves that would either make my boat capsize or if not get washed ashore.

I noticed that Tzu Ling saw me when she came to help, she pointed at my direction to Luo Ling, then Luo Ling nodded her head and WALKED AWAY! I was like, huh? At least get me a trolley please?! In the end, I was the first person from MF to reach shore, and I was the last person from MF to get ONTO shore. And now I get scolded cos no one helped me. What crap!

As soon as mrs sidhu launched her scolding at me and walked off, I think Aaron and Lu Xin got the signal that I was gonna be a tap because I was already very upset because Tzu Ling was mad at me, so Aaron helped me hold my sail as I tried to untie the knot and bring down my sail. Then Aaron said that he'd help me bring my boat back while I go sign out. Then when I said it was okay, he said nvm, he would bring it back to the MOE washing point. Such a good friend! So I went to sign out, and i saw Quin signing off too.

She saw me, and offered me her Oreo cookie pack [that Mrs Sidhu gave every one who was competiting]. I guess she noticed it too. I told her no thanks and she kept pushing it to me, then she kept telling me to take it, but in the end i forced it back to her so she didn't push it to me. Then I leaned against the wall and cried lor. Then opps, I think Daryl saw me. So I pulled down my hat and rushed into the toilet with Quin behind me.

So after that we went out to unrig, and I saw Mrs Sidhu at MOESSC washing point. Opps, I decided not to do anything except unrig, before Mrs Sidhu scolds me again.

When I was done, Peck Khee and Ning Xin called me over and asked me to find someone to share a slice of pizza with! I went to put back my sail and Peck Khee called Quin over to share a slice with me. Hahaa... she ate half a piece and i ate half. lol. We had to share, everyone did. haha.

It was not a nice day, made me feel so upset for the rest of the day. I hope Tzu Ling won't be mad at me tomorrow... please. But I'm like, really sorry cos I'm sharing that boat with her for competitions. And oh gawd, 20 bucks gone cos of the chipped daggerboard!!! =(

When we got back to school, it was only 4 plus, and I realised that today some sec 4s were taking their O or whatever level oral exam. I guess the exam ended, cos the canteen was noisy and crowded when we got back. Everyone was like, looking at us. We were the only ones in school that were in home clothing, and slippers [only some were wearing shoes]. Whoops, so paisei. lol.

Tomorrow shall be better, and I'm not racing tomorrow! YAY! Tomorrow and the day after is for B' Division. GOOD LUCK! =D they had better be top 3 cos Farhana is coming on Friday, the last day, which means prize giving etc. She hopes for our school to receive a prize. Since all of the C' Division couldn't do it, the B div shall do it for us! lol.

No comments: